Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Bike Bum Diaries

Footprints in the Snow

Deep in thought once again as snow crushes under my boots. The same trails that I usually am ripping down on two wheels have a new mystique about them covered in snow. There is an innocence to the land that is normally lost. The snow amplifies the noises of my steps and my dog rummaging in the brush. I follow numerous tracks left over from the various excursions into this snowy wilderness. I find myself trying to identify the tires that left these footprints, and begin thinking of the stories behind the persons who left them. The tracks I follow the most have to be left over from a Maxxis Ignitor tire. The shapes and patterns are too easily discernable. It is interesting to see a visual representation of a mountain biker's "footprint" that is left on the mountain even after they are long gone. The snow is not always there to show us the extent to which we can manipulate the earth with two wheels. Many of us do not think nor care about our footprint, nor the impact that our presence has on the land. Moving rocks, riding in soggy mud and re-routing trails without knowledge of the watershed and the topography all can leave an incredibly large footprint. Just because those prints are not always right in front of us in the snow to remind us of the multitude of people that were there before us doesn't mean we should not think about our impact. Ride and ride hard, but do so with the knowledge that you have a lot more weight on the land than you think. I shift the weight of the saw I am carrying onto my left arm. I can't get too lost in thought or I may wind up with a chain saw in my gut. Back to reality and the task at hand. Back to keeping the trails open, to giving back and to appreciating all that has been given. Back to being a Sherpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment